Clients of Meals on Wheels of Lexington will benefit from a freewill offering taken during the organ, piano and vocal concert at First Reformed United Church of Christ Sunday, April 17th, at 3 p.m. The concert will feature eight local church musicians and two vocalists.
This is the second time the benefit concert has been held in the sanctuary of First Reformed UCC. In September 2014, most of the same musicians and vocalists presented a concert that drew over 200 people. The offering totaled over $1,600 for Davidson Medical Ministries.
Meals on Wheels of Lexington was designated as this year’s non-profit agency to benefit from the concert. First Reformed UCC shares its large, commercial kitchen with Meals on Wheels Mondays through Friday, where two part-time cooks prepare over 100 hot, nutritious lunches for clients homebound clients. The meals are organized for pickup and delivery by volunteer drivers between 10:30 and 11 a.m.
The face of the Meals on Wheels program at First Reformed UCC is Alisa Johnson. A dedicated, energetic and active First Reformed UCC church member and community volunteer, Johnson serves as the volunteer Meals on Wheels coordinator for First Reformed UCC.
Among other things, Johnson visits prospective Meals on Wheels who live within the First Reformed UCC route to determine their program qualifications as well as their physical and dietary needs. Johnson, who also is a route driver, makes sure there is emergency coverage for her route when drivers have scheduling conflicts.
Drivers are made up of volunteers from eight churches: Our Lady of the Rosary, Grace Episcopal, First Baptist, First Methodist, First Lutheran, First Presbyterian, First Reformed UCC and Second Reformed UCC.
Thank you to the following musicians and vocalists who will share their creative talents Sunday afternoon so deserving seniors get a friendly visit and a hot meal delivered to their homes each weekday:
- Connie Burleson, First Presbyterian Church organist
- Jacob Gordon, Director of Music Ministries, First Lutheran Church
- Phyllis Jones, First Methodist Church organist
- Beverly Khemlani, First Baptist Church organist
- Arch McMullan, Becks Lutheran Church organist
- Kelly Newsome, First Lutheran Church organist
- Lee Ann Peele, First Reformed UCC organist and pianist
- Ellen Peterson, Vocalist & Director of Adult and Hand Bell choirs at First Reformed UCC
- Mickey Sharpe, Vocalist
- Pat Ulmer, Flautist at First Presbyterian Church