Our history dates back to the 1700’s in Germany and Switzerland. The Reformed faith spread to the countries of northern Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries. The Reformed faith spread to the countries of northern Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries.
In the early 18th century thousands of Germans, Scotch–Irish, Welsh and English were forced to leave their countries due to political, religious and economic conditions. Many emigrants settled in Pennsylvania and were members of the Reformed Church and then migrated south into Viriginia and North Carolina.
The Germans settled in the same area of Piedmont North Carolina, the counties of Rowan, Davidson, Stanly and Cabarrus.
On Sunday, January 20, 1901 First Reformed Church was started. In 1934 the General Synod of the Reformed Church and the Evangelical Synod of North America met in Ohio to organize the General Synod of the Evangelical and Reformed Church. The Reformed group emphasized education and the Evangelical group emphasized evangelism. On August 5, 1934, our church was officially named The First Evangelical and Reformed Church of Lexington.
The United Church of Christ was formed in 1957 by the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Churches. Our church was officially named First Reformed United Church of Christ.
First Reformed UCC holds its standing in the Western North Carolina Association which is part of the Southern Conference of the United Church of Christ.